To establish the ranking of the teams after the Preliminary Round, the following criteria apply:
- Total number of victories (matches won, matches lost)
- In the event of a tie, the following first tiebreaker will apply:
Most points gained. Teams will be ranked by the most points gained per match as follows:
Match won 3-0 or 3-1
Match won 3-2
Match lost 2-3
Match lost 0-3 or 1-3
0 points (25-0, 25-0, 25-0)
If teams are still tied after examining the number of victories and points gained, then the FIVB will examine results to break the tie in the following order:
- Set ratio. If two or more teams are tied on the number of points gained, they will be ranked by the ratio resulting from the division of the number of all sets won by the number of all sets lost.
- Points ratio. If the tie persists based on set ratio, the teams will be ranked by the ratio resulting from the division of all points scored by the total of points lost during all sets.
- If the tie continues to persist based on point ratio, the tie will be broken based on the team that won the Preliminary Round match between the tied teams. When the tie in point ratio is between three or more teams, these teams will be ranked taking into consideration only the matches involving the teams in question.
- If the two teams did not play against each other, the tie will remain, and the two teams will exceptionally be ranked both at the same position.